… yet I can’t stop watching.
10. Sugata’s meido are hardly ever in meido fuku nor do anything. Why have combat meido if they don’t do meido things or do combat things? At the very least, have a “night service” scene. Just a waste.
(Mitigating factor: At least they are meido in this anime.)
9. Female members of Kiraboshi dress like participants of an Eyes Wide Shut orgy. The outfits just seem so over-the-top ridiculous and uncomfortable that they only way they would be acceptable is for a high class drug-fueled orgy. Which I’m sure every Kiraboshi meeting is right after the camera cuts away from their scheming to defeat Tauburn.
(Mitigating factor: Wait, this is something wrong with this show? I demand masks and scantily clad costumes for all my evil anime organizations. At the very least, can you imagine Pokemon if Satoshi and Pikachu had to duel evil gym members modeled after the female roster of Kiraboshi? Yes. Yes, please.)
8. Why not kill Takuto? Why does Kiraboshi keep trying to defeat Tauburn when they can just hire and sniper and off Takuto? Or plant a car bomb? Or poison him? They have a major advantage in that they know his real identity… exploit it! Why do I get the feeling that Kiraboshi is made up of veterans from Enron, Lehman Brothers, and Circuit City?
(Mitigating factor: We get to see more and more ridiculous lairs that Kiraboshi meet in. Sinister looking conference table not enough? Add in a rotating platform a la Orenge-sama and a lounge room to play darts, the Kiraboshi manor could eventually become a Vegas casino.)
7. Plot points that rip off Calvin and Hobbes. Wait, was Marino real? Or just a real figment of Mizuno’s imagination? Is Marino like the Hobbes to Mizuno’s Calvin? Or more like Fight Club where Mizuno just had an epic case of multiple personality syndrome? What was going on? Why make this even more confusing than it needs to be?
(Mitigating factor: The episode where Mizuno desperately tries to get off the island and can’t… one of the greatest episodes of Star Driver. Just the right amount of plot, intrigue, and suspense… and… uh… only episode until then to not feature Takuto apprivoising Tauburn.)
6. Really a magical girl show. When Bones puts more effort into animating Takuto’s magical galactic pretty boy sequence than Shaft does into Sakaya’s transformation sequence, you know something is not right in the world. Why does Takuto’s hair need highlights in magical galactic pretty boy mode anyway?
(Mitigating factor: Takuto is the greatest magical girl since Nanoha. Just shows how we’re in such a magical girl drought… enjoy this golden age for tsundere because I get the feeling a few years from now, they’ll be as rare as a worthwhile Myspace page. Also enjoying the jargon of this show… Kiraboshi? Apprivoise? Piles? Third Phase? Zero Jikan? Libido? Galactic Pretty Boy? )
5. Too much yaoi undertones between Sugata and Takuto. At times, I think the love triangle is Sugata and Wako being in with Takuto. Just for a show featuring so many potential haremettes, why do they need to add in homoerotic overtones? Like every Takuto bathing with Sugata scene. Why do they need to bathe together? All the time?!
(Mitigating factor: Adding in homoerotic overtones despite the abundance of melonpan worked very well for Code Geass and Gundam.)
4. Takuto has no personality. Dude is a complete zero. He’s not gar like Simon. He’s not wussy like Shinji. He’s not snide like Kyon. He’s not perverted like Tomoki. He’s not reliable as Tomoya. He’s not as memorable as Jiro Yamada. He’s not smooth like Keima. He’s not conflicted as Mako-cakes. What does he have? Takuto has zero personality… maybe a back story not ripped off from The Promised Place in Our Early Days would have helped.
(Mitigating factor: He is the Galactic Pretty Boy. So he has that going for him.)
3. Characters are introduced and removed like pr0n stars from Charlie Sheen’s hotel room. Just lost track of characters coming and going. Sigh. I am not making a fucking flowchart for this show.
(Mitigating factor: More characters = more ridiculously whorishly clad members of Kiraboshi.)
2. Battles are completely uninteresting. Every battle involves either Sugata raising his hand (which he does once in a while, and once in a while works) or Takuto pulling out a victory from his ass. No, seriously, I’ve seen less convoluted battles in the WWE. Just ridiculous with no semblance of flow. Battles thus far in Madoka just seem so much more interesting.
(Mitigating factor: I like how Third Phase Tauburn no longer walks but… rollerblades!!! Needless to say, I can’t wait for Fourth Phase Tauburn start sky surfing.)
1. World and rules of the world seems made up as things go along. I have no clue how the phases work except that they’re just huge euphemisms for the virginity of the island maidens.
(Mitigating factor: Good to see Haruhi Suzumiya get some directing experience before she moves on to direct the next Gundam franchise reboot.)